Monday, September 15, 2008

One Rough Week

This past week has been a mess. On Labor Day I went floating down the river with a good friend of mine. This was the most relaxing, enjoyable day of the whole summer (minus the terrible sunburn that I got.) She made countless comments about how relaxed and happy I looked. Well, as mentioned I got extremely sun burnt on the river. A few days had passed and I began to peel a little bit but this spot on my forehead was starting to puss and blister. I just thought that my forehead took the brunt of the sun and was more damaged than the rest of my body. Well by Friday the right side of my face was in so much pain and my face around my ear was so swollen. By Saturday it was 10 times worse and I was in tears it hurt so bad. Dan took me to the ER that night and they gave me a shot in the butt for pain and told me to see my family Dr. on Monday. So on Sunday when I woke up half my forehead was swollen and in so much more pain than the days before. Monday I woke up to my whole forehead looked like crap and it hurt so much worse. Dan and I went to the Dr. and they gave me an antibiotic and sent me home. Well on Tuesday I woke up and my right eye was swollen shut. I could not even move my eyelid. I looked horrible. I called the Dr. and told them what had happened and they said to get to their office right away and plan on going to the hospital. We (Dan and I) met my mom at the Doctors office and they said they think I had cellulitious in my face and would need to be admitted to the hospital for a few days and pumped full of antibiotics. So, we go to the hospital and I get checked in and a lab tech comes to get blood and said she had someone coming in ten minutes to get blood from my other arm. Ugh, I hate needles. After that was done the IV team came in and poked both hands before sticking a vein. They finally got it and all was fine and dandy. Wednesday came and the Dr. stopped in and said that he is pretty sure that I had shingles as well as a staff infection on my forehead but to be sure they had to run a few more tests. But just to be sure they were putting me on isolation. To visit me you had to put a gown and gloves on and stay three feet away. I felt like I had the black plague. I was the girl that people look at the big orange sign on the door and wonder what is wrong with her?!?! Also, Wednesday my IV decided to blow and the only option for me is to put a central line in me. They do this by ultrasound and ex ray. They go through your bicep and while watching the ultrasound guide a needle attached to a very long catheter (empties into your chest) to the vein. The X-ray tech tried my right arm first since I am left handed. Well as luck would have it that vein blew and would not take the needle so she had to put it in the left arm. Twice the pain, lovely. Thursday was pretty quiet and I got out on Friday, however I am not able to resume normal activity and by that I mean go in any public place until I am cleared by the Doctor. I plan on going tomorrow since I am bored out of my mind and have now been off work for a week.

I am very thankful for my husband and parents that sat by my bed and took care of me every possible second. I am also very thankful for those that visited, called, sent cards, flowers, balloons. I realize how lucky I am to have such great people in my life.

The Doctor better clear me tomorrow because tomorrow also starts sex-a-puloza and this is going to be our month!! (See I still am hopeful)

No comments: